How to Change a Flat Tire: The Right Tools and the Right Method
How to change a flat tire – it’s knowledge all drivers should have, and yet it’s a skill frequently spurned. That’s okay. Let’s go ahead and learn about:
- The Right Gear
- The Right Method
The Right Gear
Firstly, have these items in your car:
- Lug Wrench
- Fully Inflated Spare Tire
- Owner’s Manual
Misplaced them? Never issued them in the first place? Pick up new ones, making sure the spare is regularly inflated to your manufacturer’s recommended PSI.
You’ll also want the following on-hand:
- Rain Poncho
- 2″x6” Wood to Secure the Jack
- Wheel Wedges
The Right Method
Okay, now onto the good stuff:
- Bring your vehicle to a safe location. Slow down and pick out a level, straight stretch of road with a wide shoulder
- Turn on your hazard lights before getting out.
- Apply the parking brake, even on level ground, to prevent rolling.
- Apply the wheel wedges. They go in front of the front tires when you’re changing a rear tire or behind the rear tires when you’re changing at the front.
- Place the jack beneath the frame. Look for a section of exposed metal, and follow the instructions in your owner’s manual.
- Place a small cut of 2×6” wood beneath the jack to prevent it settling, then start to lift. Remember never to place any part of your body under the vehicle.
- Unscrew the lug nuts – once loose, it’s easy to unscrew them by hand.
- Remove the flat by gripping the treads and pulling gently towards you. Set it on its side to prevent rolling.
- Mount the spare on the lug nuts, then tighten them by hand until they are all on.
- Lower the vehicle slightly and tighten the lug nuts with a wrench
- Bring the vehicle to the ground
- Replace the hubcap. It may not fit – if so, stow it with your flat.
- Check the pressure of the spare to make sure it’s safe to drive on.
- Drive to a service center. Remember, spares are meant to be temporary and shouldn’t be driven at high speeds.
Need Any Further Advice? Simply Contact Tracy Mazda
Whether talking to our finance department or visiting our service department we’re always here to help. Don’t hesitate to contact us today if you’d like to find out more, or come into our dealership in Tracy near Stockton and Lanthrop today!
Take a look at 2021 Mazda3 mpg scores after enjoying a test drive from our Tracy Mazda showroom and you’ll be stunned that such sporty performance can come with such low fuel consumption figures. To see exactly what makes the MAZDA3 so impressive, simply read on to explore: 2021 MAZDA3 Sedan Gas Mileage 2021 MAZDA3 Hatchback…
The 2021 Mazda CX-9 is a stunning SUV with three rows of seating, elegant controls, advanced technology, and undeniable style — so just how much is a Mazda CX-9? Starting at a $33,960 MSRP,* the Mazda CX-9 lineup offers fantastic options for all budgets. So whether you want an affordable model in Manteca or a…
The latest Mazda CX-5 is a powerful, efficient, and stylish SUV. While the exterior prowess of this ride is turning heads on your Manteca commute, the Mazda CX-5 interior will surround you with comfort and convenience. This one-of-a-kind SUV offers luxury where it counts, while remaining affordable to all. From the entry-level Mazda CX-5 Sport,…
Mazda is known for creating thrilling experiences behind the wheel, but how does that translate to fuel economy? The 2020 Mazda CX-9 mpg specs are here to prove you can balance power with efficiency, as this model can achieve up to 22 city/28 highway mpg* when equipped with FWD. Your Mazda CX-9 gas mileage may…
2021 Mazda3 Turbo models are set to start arriving at dealerships towards the end of the year. They bring a whole new sense of performance to the 2021 Mazda3, a vehicle already known for its athletic edge. To discover what’s going to set the Mazda3 2.5 Turbo apart, read on. View Mazda3 Inventory Contact Us 2021…
The elegant Mazda CX-5 offers up a head-turning exterior and a comfortable interior for Manteca drivers to enjoy. Despite the popularity of the 2020 rendition, some may not be familiar with the differences between the new Mazda CX-5 trim levels. Luckily, the team here at Tracy Mazda has put together a Mazda CX-5 trim comparison to…
If you have ever seen a Mazda CX-30 roll through Manteca, chances are it left a lasting impression. While the style and opulence of this ride is unforgettable, the performance is incredible too. Starting at just $21,900 MSRP* the Mazda CX-30 specs will provide the exact feel you need when heading out on your next…
The 2020 Mazda CX-5 isn’t only the most powerful Mazda CX-5 ever— it’s also the most striking. From its sloping hood lines and bold angles, to its shark fin antenna and captivating Mazda CX-5 color options, it demands attention throughout Tracy and beyond. If you’re interested in the new 2020 Mazda CX-5, get excited to…
It’s important to stay safe during the COVID-19 outbreak. This is why our dealership is taking several precautions in order to keep both our customers and our employees safe. No matter if you’re in need of a new vehicle or your current vehicle is in need of a repair, our team can help while giving…
The 2020 Mazda CX-5 is a family-oriented SUV that has plenty to offer drivers and their passengers. This model is equipped with a full list of high-end features, including a suite of safety innovations that helped earn this model high safety ratings. Learn more about the Mazda CX-5 safety ratings and other Mazda safety ratings…