How to Change a Flat Tire: The Right Tools and the Right Method
How to change a flat tire – it’s knowledge all drivers should have, and yet it’s a skill frequently spurned. That’s okay. Let’s go ahead and learn about:
- The Right Gear
- The Right Method
The Right Gear
Firstly, have these items in your car:
- Lug Wrench
- Fully Inflated Spare Tire
- Owner’s Manual
Misplaced them? Never issued them in the first place? Pick up new ones, making sure the spare is regularly inflated to your manufacturer’s recommended PSI.
You’ll also want the following on-hand:
- Rain Poncho
- 2″x6” Wood to Secure the Jack
- Wheel Wedges
The Right Method
Okay, now onto the good stuff:
- Bring your vehicle to a safe location. Slow down and pick out a level, straight stretch of road with a wide shoulder
- Turn on your hazard lights before getting out.
- Apply the parking brake, even on level ground, to prevent rolling.
- Apply the wheel wedges. They go in front of the front tires when you’re changing a rear tire or behind the rear tires when you’re changing at the front.
- Place the jack beneath the frame. Look for a section of exposed metal, and follow the instructions in your owner’s manual.
- Place a small cut of 2×6” wood beneath the jack to prevent it settling, then start to lift. Remember never to place any part of your body under the vehicle.
- Unscrew the lug nuts – once loose, it’s easy to unscrew them by hand.
- Remove the flat by gripping the treads and pulling gently towards you. Set it on its side to prevent rolling.
- Mount the spare on the lug nuts, then tighten them by hand until they are all on.
- Lower the vehicle slightly and tighten the lug nuts with a wrench
- Bring the vehicle to the ground
- Replace the hubcap. It may not fit – if so, stow it with your flat.
- Check the pressure of the spare to make sure it’s safe to drive on.
- Drive to a service center. Remember, spares are meant to be temporary and shouldn’t be driven at high speeds.
Need Any Further Advice? Simply Contact Tracy Mazda
Whether talking to our finance department or visiting our service department we’re always here to help. Don’t hesitate to contact us today if you’d like to find out more, or come into our dealership in Tracy near Stockton and Lanthrop today!
Drivers from Manteca to Stockton are wondering what is in the Mazda CX-30 interior. If you’re looking for a compact SUV with tons of interior space, a long list of standard features, and a high-end look at a mainstream price point – the Mazda CX-30 is for you. The sleek interior design of this efficient…
The 2020 Mazda CX-30 is finally here. Now that drivers can experience the performance, interior comforts, and high-end technology of this model in person, it’s time to talk price. The Mazda CX-30 price starts at $21,900 MSRP* for the basic model. If you decide to add on more luxury features, like on the Premium Package,…
The 2020 Mazda3 gas mileage can get up to 27 mpg city/36 mpg highway* depending on the trim level you choose. And with innovative Mazda technology, drivers will get the strong performance needed on Lanthrop roads and beyond without compromising efficiency. Learn more about the new Mazda3 gas mileage ratings with Tracy Mazda then take your…
The 2019 Mazda CX-5 is a midsize SUV with plenty of interior space and a powerful, yet efficient, engine. Learn more about this capable model and how much the 2019 Mazda CX-5 can tow with Tracy Mazda, your local Mazda retailer. The best way to experience this Mazda SUV performance features is by taking a test…
How much can a Mazda CX-9 tow? The 2019 Mazda CX-9 can tow up to 3,500 pounds with either front-wheel drive or all-wheel drive.* This can allow for a small trailer to be added on so you can bring everything you need with on your next Manteca adventure. With a powerful performance and added safety…
There are different options on tire size when it comes to the Mazda3. The sizes you need depend on the year of the model. Take a look at the Mazda3 tire sizes at Tracy Mazda then see what tools you may need to help you decide on the perfect tires for your new Mazda model. If…
Contact Us The 2019 Mazda CX-5 is a versatile crossover model that brings plenty of style and performance to the Manteca roads. But what about the 2019 Mazda CX-5 gas mileage? You’ll certainly be impressed with the efficiency of this model, but the numbers will vary slightly based on which trim level you decide to…
At a starting MSRP of $21,950, the 2018 Mazda6 offers five configurations loaded with high-tech features including options like i-ACTIVSENSE® and exterior paint options you won’t find elsewhere. Compare the new Mazda6 configurations below from price to features and find the one that’s best for your Manteca driving needs. New Mazda6 for Sale Mazda6 Overview Mazda6…
Whether you want to bolster the sportiness of your MX-5 Miata or add subtle upgrades here and there, your options are seemingly endless. Tracy Mazda offers a fully stocked inventory of Mazda Miata parts and accessories. Manteca owners can find OEM tires, cargo storage mediums, tech upgrades, and much more. Learn more about Mazda performance parts…
How much is a Mazda CX-9? The CX-9 Sport starts at $32,280. The CX-9 Sport, Touring, and Grand Touring come standard with front-wheel drive, while the CX-9 Signature gets all-wheel drive. Explore the new Mazda CX-9 family below to see which is best for your budget and your Manteca and Stockton travels! New Mazda CX-9…